Sunday, June 1, 2014

Indie Interview: PowerfulKyurem

        
        This is an all new series here on my blog were I interview some cool and unknown indie developers trying to intraduce them and all of their cool and interesting games to all my wonderful viewers. My first will be a small indie developer I found on GameJolt who goes by the name PowerfulKyurem.

Q: What got you into developing in the first place? Do you take insparation from anyone else?

A: I'm not entirely sure what got me into game development. I kinda just woke up one day and had an idea to do stuff. I've always made little maze puzzles on graph paper. Some of them I made as small engines. I suppose Supmaster004 (a fellow GJ developer) is who inspired me a lot. Over the years, we've developed a small friendship, and I've sometimes bickered with him. However, I admire him, and hope I can be as good as (if not better than) him one day.

Q: Are you currently working on or planning on starting a new project? Or do you have any ideas on what your gonna make next?

A: I am currently working on 2 major projects, Duck Clicker and The New Nintendo Nightmare. They are primarily story oriented. I won't go into too many details, though. I don't want to give away spoilers. I did make a submission for the lowrez jam, this month, called Eraser. It's a small puzzle game. I plan on adding more stuff soon. I am going to be entering the glitch jam on gamejolt, and I already have a few ideas. I also have an old 2D minecraft-ish puzzle that I plan on fixing up and submitting soon. There is also an old (very crude) "2D atom simulator" that I plan on redoing as a prototype soon. It's basically just protons and electrons attracting and repelling each other. I'm also working with another dev to polish one of their old games for an anniversary edition, although I'm not sure if they want me to give details as to who they are or what game it is. It's meant to be a surprise.

Q: What is your favorite genre of game? Do you have a favorite game youve ever played? Why?

A: Id have to say my favorite genre is either adventure games or turn based RPG's (ones where you mash hordes of enemies in real-time are generally stagnant in my opinion). Granted, those genres can go hand very easily. I can't really pick one particular one, but I really liked Mario & Luigi RPG series. Story aside, the gameplay is epic. If you haven't seen it, it's basically a turn based RPG with real-time attacks. The only thing bad about it is that they don't have any full blown real time segments where you just move around. If I absolutely had to pick a favorite out of the 4 games, I'd have to say Partners In Time. I like a good time travel story, and it is certainly a twisted one. Granted, I did recently see a live stream of a time travel RPG game called Chrono Trigger, and the gameplay is as good as it looks, it might take the cake figuratively speaking.

Q: Do you have any advice or things you would like to say to any other upcoming indie developers?

A: I can advise people a little. Stay away from unity right away. It's a good engine, but a little more oriented towards those experienced in code. Game Maker 8.0/8.1 or RPG Maker is a good place to start. If you start with game maker I'd definitely start in advanced mode (the other mode is a pain to work in). Ok, less code-ish advice. Don't ever give up on a project, no matter what. Also, don't concern yourself with other dev's opinions. I'm not saying you shouldn't make your game decent or try to be popular with it. I mean that if other devs start saying it's bad and to stop, keep going. 9 times out of 10, they're simply jealous of your idea. Note, that code advice is totally separate. Definitely take people's opinions on that. Unless they tell you the game making program you use is horrible, and to switch. Stick to your guns. All of the programs have their advantages, and short of using some esoteric language nobody has heard of, you're just fine. I also suggest getting excel or a spreadsheet program. It can be great for drawing levels in. I've already made five or six in my own game. Granted, the size had to be adjusted, but it works pretty good. Also, use paint or some other program for drawing stuff. Random art or snippets of levels can be easily put to paper without having to worry about the exact details. I can also say (for those not-drawing-savvy-devs): scale the image down from 10X or more. It will come out looking better, and you'll have nice looking color shades if you use less than best scaling quality. Just try to use more than 2 or 3 colors unless required. It'll look better. I'd also say that when making stories, come up with an overall theme or idea. One of the things I do is to have more than one protagonist or antagonist (hero or villain), or better yet, make the player the one caught in the middle of things. Just what I do. It's a matter of opinion. Anyways, any more advice, and I'll give away all my secrets, and I can't be doing that can I? ;)

Q: What do you use to create your games? How long on average does it take you to complete a project?

A: I use Game Maker 8.0 lite and pro for all of my projects, and a few of the tools and tricks I mentioned earlier. Most engines (that is to say, the basic framework of the game) takes about a week or less depending on how big it will be in the end. The rest is a matter of the levels themselves. That can take anywhere from an hour to a week to a month, and of course the coding still continues. I should note that my two big projects and some of past full 3D GM work are a major exception. That can take a long time, mostly due to tedious things, difficult code, and/or story related stuff. On average, though, my projects take about a month each. However, that is with 2 or 3 small ones being cycled around, and sometimes combined, as well as at least one longer game or story. I have a tight schedule though, so I only work for about an hour every day.

Check him out here if you have more questions to ask: http://gamejolt.com/profile/he/212594/

No comments:

Post a Comment