Saturday, January 16, 2016

Gaming for One Please?

Gaming as a hobby and as a form of entertainment has grown substantially over these last couple of years. With major events popping up all over the place like the Dota 2 Internationals being talked about on ESPN to Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 having $550 million in sales and that is just within their first three days of release. These numbers as well as these major things that are happening just push forward the point that Gaming culture is no longer this small underground thing that only antisocial nerds and geeks do in their free time. It is truly becoming a mainstream form of media all over the world. With this growth, however I do feel that one of my favorite things about gaming has died and that is the one and only single player experience. To me this large growth and new technology has led many game developers to strive and work at creating an amazing multiplayer experience, but simultaneously forgetting about their single player campaign causing it to suffer because of this. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good multiplayer experience as much as the next person but as someone who grew up without any other avid gamers in the house or even in my town I grew to love the idea of just sitting down by myself in front of a TV and with a controller in my hands and just losing myself in this new and intriguing world and story I was just presented with.
This sudden rise in developer’s creating multiplayer only video games in my opinion spawns with the success of multiplayer PC titles such as Counter Strike: Global Offensive, League of Legends, and Team Fortress 2. These titles are widely seen as great games,f even though the developers abandoned the normal structure of a single play campaign and instead decided to focus on the multiplayer aspect as well as team vs team combat as their main game play mechanic. This model quickly spread to consoles with one title garnering much success Titanfall a multiplayer only FPS that continued to grow in popularity for almost an entire year before its fan base eventually died down to a slow crawl. This to me leads to the first major problem with these multiplayer focused or multiplayer only games the lack of innovation or creative story telling.
Let me first begin this argument by stating that not all multiplayer player game are completely lacking of interesting stories as well as character and some even have widely intriguing worlds and rich lore for you to dig into and enjoy I mean League of Legends alone has enough lore you could practically create a religion around it. However this still does not take away from the fact that these games have to try so much harder to actually show you this story in my opinion of course I am one of those weird people who actually enjoys an in game cinematic from time to time. To me they just help explain to player what's going on and break up the game play so you don't get bored of continuously doing the same this not to mention they add a more cinematic feel to your game and allow me as the player to much more easily take in this rich world you have created.
However, I will consider the fans of these games and their opinions on this matter. The fans of these types of games are usually those who much prefer game play over story and that is perfectly fine, I love good game play but I am just more of an avid story lover when it comes to my games. Thus,allow me to explain my second reason for feeling that these games are a problem and that is the fact that when servers die your game dies. This is a major issue that seems to just be looked over by many multiplayer avid gamer's. Think of it like this a game comes out that you really love but it’s multiplayer only meaning that whenever you wish to play this game you must be connected to some sort of internet connection as well as all the other player and you are all wired through that developers’ servers for that game. This to me leads to more than one problem when you honestly sit down and think about it. For instance let's say that as the game is released to the public the massive fan base it once had drops allot as people grow bored with it or gain interest in something else this all of the sudden means that you have no way of playing this game because there's barely enough people to get in matches anymore. This can also happen if the company has something else to work on or runs out of money to afford those servers which leads them to shut them down causing the game you just paid for or put money in completely and utterly worthless. This can be seen in many older EA games as well as some MMO’s that just couldn't make the cut they end up in what I call the online game graveyard where they'll sit forever unless someone or some company starts up a new set of servers.
Now then you must remember I am not completely against multiplayer games I love Counter Strike and am an avid fan of the occasional Smite game here and there. I just believe that triple A companies should remember that there are fans out there who still enjoy a good single player experience. I also do know that there are still many good story based games coming out recently. Many of these games are released by indie developers which leads me to believe that one of these days I’m gonna have to give up on the triple A development companies to find the interesting story based game play I was born and raised with. If you disagree with me, I completely understand as this is all just based on an opinion, but I hope that for those who do agree with me that you will help these big companies understand why a well made story can be worth just the same as a fun multiplayer game.

No comments:

Post a Comment